From:
"Vincent G. Huml" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 1996 16:28:11 EDT
Sue Huml, LLLL, IBCLC
Lansinoh Laboratories

This is in response to Jans' post concerning her 21 year old daughters' allergic
reaction to what she implies is the USP modified lanolin produced by the company
I am affiliated with.   Since L------h was offered for use by breastfeeding
mothers in 1989, millions of women have used this product and we have never
documented a case of allergic reaction.  At this breastfeeding mother owned
company, all customer feedback is taken very seriously and I have forwarded the
information Jan posted to our Medical Director.  Additionally we have a
responsibility to the professional literature to report any documented reaction
as this new information would challenge the existing scientific documentation.
In order to fulfill our ongoing responsibility to our customers and to the
scientific community, it is imperative that Jans' daughter participate in a
formal patch testing procedure that would allow for clinical documentation to
confirm her daughter's allergic reaction to L-----h.  L------h Labs will
underwrite the entire expense of this procedure to be performed by a board
certified dermatologist or allergist of her chosing.  In order to assure
absolute sincerity and integrity in this important issue, the results of this
testing will be posted on Lactnet.

As stated earlier, there has never been a documented case of an allergic
reaction to L------h.  Over the years, there have been three reports of a
negative response with the application of L------h and in each instance L------h
Labs has made the offer that we are making to Jan.  Two people agreed to
participate and their chosen allergist forwarded copies of the clinical testing
to their health care providerand LC and in both cases the formal patch testing
ruled out allergic resonse to L-------h.  The third person who reported a
negative reaction, and who is also a member of the Lactnet roster, has refused
to participate in patch testing although the offer has been extended to her on
several occasions.

Sue Huml