Date:
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:58:06 -0800
Hi,

I've been nomail for a while (and still am) but I was wondering if
someone out there can help me on this one:

A mum has been prescribed a single dose of Vermox (100mg) for
pinworms that she and her four year old both have.  Her doctor has
recommended not BFing for 24 hours, because the effects are
"unknown", but she doesn't have enough breastmilk stored to feed her
9 month old for that long.  She does not want to give formula, and
hasn't yet introduced whole milk to her baby.

I'm stumped on this one.  On one hand, I imagine vermifuges are
fairly toxic, but on the other, the dose for a 2 year old is the same
as the adult dose, so how bad can it be?  Furthermore, if the whole
family is being treated, might not the baby benefit from a weak dose
filtred through the breast?

Also, is anyone aware of herbal remedies that are safe for BFing?  I
would hesitate to recommend wormwood, as it is mildly addictive and
has other side effects, but what about Black Walnut or Grapefruit
seed extracts?

Please respond privately to [log in to unmask]

Thanks in advance

Jennifer Landels, BA, CBE
Vancouver BC