From:
Theresa Moutafis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2019 09:28:45 -0400
I have a tough case that I posted about awhile back. Any
experience/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to post all
the info I have, followed by mom's most recent messages (she gave PTP to
post in full). I'm sorry for the length! Thanks in advance for any
suggestions. x-posted on LactWorld on Facebook.

DOB 3/14/19

Mom c/o persistent burning breast pain almost since birth. Initially
suspected thrush due to white, difficult to remove film from baby's mouth.
Diflucan appeared to improve the white film.

All visits have been virtual between me and another LC on our team. Latch
difficult to assess. Baby otherwise doing well.

Below are mom's most recent messages:

Hi Theresa! Sorry it took so long to get back to you, i was waiting for
test results. My ob gyn messed up my breast milk culture the first time i
went in - they ordered the wrong test! The second time I went in they only
checked for bacteria, not yeast! It’s all quite disturbing the level of
incompetence!

I am seeing a different doctor now who is also a lactation consultant and
we did a final test for yeast. She also examined baby and said shes not
convinced its yeast and may be “vasospasm” and told me to take magnesium
and B6 and prescribed me all purpose nipple ointment. Ive been doing all
that for 2 weeks and not seeing an improvement in the pain.

I’m currently waiting for my yeast test results and my pediatrician also is
waiting for my daughters final yeast results (apparently these take 4-6
weeks for fi al results). In the meanwhile the whiteness on her tongue has
come back, similar to when she was first examined by the pediatrician! Ive
tried the baking soda method so far and it didnt help.

Not sure what to do at the point outside of waiting for test results. Still
sterilizing everything and washing in vinegar. Clothes and pump parts and
pacifiers. I tried gentian violet again. I might try the grapefruit seed
extract next. Also taking a probiotic called Yeast is a Beast.
----------------
Here is my update - the new doctor did a test for candida which she said
shes only used for vaginal yeast infections before but should be accurate
in testing candida in milk and skin too since it checks DNA. The test is
called “Candida Six Species Profile NAA”. This test came back negative for
6 different types of candida (it was a sample of my breast milk and she
swabbed my nipple area too). This dr also examined baby and said she
doesn’t think its yeast. Although it doesn’t come off when I wipe. She was
saying that because its only on the tongue it isn’t yeast. Also she said
baby’s redness around butt area is not consistent with a yeast rash. Its
just redness and not raised sores etc.

I also followed up with the ob gyn who said that the bacteria test also
included a yeast test and she called the lab again to confirm that they did
look for yeast. Apparently it’s the “gram stain” portion of the test? I’ve
attached both results. I also noticed for the first time yesterday I was
not having the burning sensation in my breasts, which has been happening
for months! It might just be a fluke so i’ll keep you updated on that.

Baby’s pediatrician said that her initial candida results were negative but
we’re waiting on final results since these tests take up to 4-6 weeks. The
candida test that my dr did was a quick 3 day one.

I really don’t know what to do at this point since i do see the white film
on baby’s mouth but everyone is telling me I didn’t test positive for
candida. I guess i’m just skeptical on the accuracy of these tests, only
because I saw the whiteness disappear for baby when she finished her
diflucan.

--
Theresa M. Moutafis, MA, RD, LDN, CDE, IBCLC
Nutrition and Wellness Consultant