From:
Mardrey Swenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:39:16 EST
Winnie  said that "Our infection control nurse recommends using Joy soap
because it
apparantly contains a bit of alcohol.  (Although I wonder if it stays bound
to the other ingredients or evaporates with exposure to the air.)  If not that
particular one, probably any dish soap would work.  "

When we have mothers pumping - we are NOT a NICU - we have kits sterilized in
the hosptial's autoclave and washed between uses with a gentle castile soap
in hot sudsy water.

We did trial the microwave steam bags and found that if you don't empty the
water from the immediatley after steaming them on a humid day that they don't
dry quickly at all.  As a result when some were put away in clean storage bags
with water drops on them twice we saw a speck of mold growing on them. Both
nurses who used the bags and LCs got distracted and didn't get the water emptied
when the parts were still hot and that's when it took so long to have the
water evaporate from the parts.

Now that it is winter and much drier they air dry quite fast on clean paper
towels.

 So I agree with the study that all water drops should be removed fairly soon
after cleaning/steaming.

Mardrey Swenson IBCLC