From:
Jacquie Nutt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Aug 2011 16:22:03 +0200
Karleen is right about the "milk sibling" issues with Muslim donors and
recipients.  We have heard this often, and sometimes a Muslim mother would
ask us to make sure that her milk went only to a baby of the same sex as
hers.  Since this would not be practical for us to ensure, we had to turn
down those donors, even though we don't pool our milk as other milk banks
do.

We have also been asked if the donor could meet the recipient baby's
parents, but I don't believe we have managed to arrange that either - sheer
logistics, not lack of will.

However recently one of our contacts passionately wanted to donate her
plentiful milk to us, and she took the initiative of writing to the Muslim
Judicial Council to ask for their help.

She received a lovely email back praising her selflessness, and directing
her to a fatwa (ruling) that says in effect that the prohibition only comes
about if the baby is breastfed directly from the donor mother's breast, but
if the milk is extracted and fed in any other way, it does not apply.  She
was given categorical permission to proceed with her donation of breast
milk.

We are very happy to have notification of this fatwa to pass on to other
Muslim would-be-donors in our area.  I have to say that I have not read the
actual fatwa myself, merely the report from the representative of the MJC
Fatwa Committee.  I also have the feeling that, as with many religions,
there are branches that interpret religious law differently from others.  I
have had some Muslim mothers come for help because the Koran "says I must
wean my baby at 2 years, and how do I do that?" and others who say that the
Koran actually says, "Do not stop breastfeeding before 2 years old" (ie, do
what you like afterwards).  I very much like the latter interpretation, but
we have to help the mother work within her own family beliefs.

So what is allowed in one country may not work for another country, but I
presume each country has a council that could make a ruling.  Worth
exploring if the situation warrants it.

Best wishes
Jacquie Nutt IBCLC
(just back from collecting 6 litres of milk from my latest lovely local
donor)
Milk Matters, Cape Town, South Africa
www.milkmatters.org