From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:26:33 -0700
I was thinking about the question asked,

"Also has there ever been a study looking at woman how adopt and induce
lactation and their statistics related to breast cancer?"

I don't know of any research (but if there is any, Karleen will know).  I
feel, however, like we adoptive moms have at least some protection from time
spent breastfeeding.  I hope, for example, that the ten years I spent
nursing adopted babies has given me at least as much protection as someone
who spent a few years nursing bio babies.

I have several thoughts along this line. I wonder if the effects might be
more significant in women who stop ovulating while nursing an adopted baby.
We are seeing more of this in the last few years, due to the use of meds and
more sophisticated use of herbs.

I also wonder if volume of milk produced is related to the amount of
protection (I would think it does). We have been recently seeing larger milk
volumes in adoptive moms, in many cases, but the majority are still
producing less milk than would be expected had they given birth to their
babies.  Does anyone know of any research that has tried to identify some
specifics, such as comparing the amount of protection from time spent
exclusively nursing a young baby versus, say, time nursing an older baby or
child, who is taking other foods and liquids, or nursing a young baby, but
with some amount of formula supplementation?

One more idea- has there been any research that might suggest whether time
spent with a baby actually at the breast (versus pumping, or depending on
how active the mom's letdown is and how long it takes her baby to feed,
etc.) figures in?

Thanks!
Darillyn