From:
Anne Grider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 09:33:45 -0500
I do indeed see vasospasms in the mothers  in my private practice.  It
seems most common when there has been ongoing trauma to the nipples.  A
recent case involved recent yeast/thrush and a baby with the largest bubble
of the anterior hard palate I'd ever seen and a tongue not yet functioning
correctly after a tongue clipping.  Another recent case involved a mother
whose nipples were mildly abraided immediately postpartum but became
infected.  It took nearly two months to convince her doctor that an
antibiotic was needed.  Some tell me that putting heat on the nipples
immediately upon the baby's coming off the breast helps but does not
entirely eliminate the pain.  Whenever nefedipine has been prescribed it has
been effective.  Not all physicians have been willing to prescribe it.

Anne Grider, IBCLC