From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 00:29:41 +0100
Very interesting that oats have positive qualities for lactating
individuals.
One of my first peer helpers in my search for knowledge about lactation is a
dairy farmer in Northern Norway, where he has kept cows and worked
extensively with goats.
In a conversation with him about mastitis, when he was irate that his wife
was asked to come to the doctor's office rather than the doctor coming to
her, as a vet would to a cow with that condition, he told me how he cared
for his cows if they had it.
He moved in to the barn.  He hand-milked the cow frequently and kept her bag
from chills.  He couldn't collect the milk for the dairy as they won't take
milk with too many white blood cells so hand-milking was the most expedient,
but he also did it because he could milk more gently and more effectively by
hand.  AND he poured literally gallons of oat gruel down the cow's throat.
(Of course, if the mastitis was not responding or if a cow had repeated
bouts, she ended up at the slaughterhouse, so I am not saying we should
emulate EVERYTHING he does.)

The custom has died out at my hospital, and I don't think many wards still
continue this, but oat gruel has been a traditional food for new mothers for
a long time.  It looks horrible, grayish and lumpy and tastes wonderful,
especially with blackcurrant concentrate added, after which it looks
purplish gray.  If you want to try a quick and dirty version of it, take a
tablespoon of instant rolled oats and put it in a cup of cold water.  The
proportions are flexible, consistency will vary with concentration.  Heat
the cup in a microwave oven until the water just boils.  Let it stand a few
minutes and stir once or twice during this time.  Add blackcurrant
concentrate if desired.  Enjoy.  You can make larger batches, if your BF
group is meeting at your home, in a saucepan.  Sprinkle the oats on the
surface of the water and bring to boil.  Let it cool.  Even a new mother can
manage this.

Rachel Myr, editor, midwife, IBCLC
Kristiansand, Norway, where we are having a rip-roaring autumn storm with
floods in low-lying areas and howling winds.  No injuries, so mainly lots of
fun.