From:
Norma Ritter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 19:35:41 -0500
I am feeling a little prickly about this, so please forgive me if I am
coming across too strongly. I am not intending this as a flame :)

Rachel Myr  quoted Magda Sachs' earlier post
>".....The baby also gets to suck on a few drops of wine as part of the
ceremony when it is over, which often seems to help them sleep a bit.....
This means that the baby has ended then, if not before, the period of
exclusive breastfeeding."

and commented:
> think it means merely that the baby has tasted something other than
breast
milk for the first time, comparable to a baby who may be given
paracetamol
syrup following casting for club feet, when acute pain is at its height.
don't think Jewish boy babies who are ritually subjected to an off topic
procedure continue to get drops of wine at regular intervals from that
moment on.  Conjecture on my part, I admit, and I stand prepared to be
corrected by those in the know.

Really! Thank you Rachel!
I always thought of my son as being exclusively bf till he started solids
at 5.5 months. It never occurred to me count the 2 or 3 drops on wine he
got at his bris (circ) any more than counting the tylenol he got after a
particularly bothersome innoculation. He certainly did NOT get a regular
ration of wine (laughing here!) unless you count the occaisional glass
that I drank.

Magda wrote:
>This means that the baby has ended then, if not before, the period of
exclusive breastfeeding.  I wonder if this would provide an interesting
population of boys, who have had mixed feeding at 8 days or so, with the
girls from the same community who might continue exclusive bf longer?  Of
course, dividing a study 'subjects' by gender might throw in some other
confounders, but it seems an interesting 'natural' opportunity.
(Assuming
anyone in this population DOES breastfeed exclusively, of course.)

I am not sure why you would assume that anyone in *this population*
DIDN'T breastfeed exclusively. Why make ANY assumptions?
I always thought of *mixed feedings* as being breastfeeding plus solids.
A one-time only ritual drop of sweet wine in not my idea of a meal :)

Coming down from my soapbox now.... feeling  a bit wobbly...maybe I need
a glass of something myself...

Norma Ritter, IBCLC
private practice in Big Flats, NY