Date:
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 07:36:24 -0800
On Sat, 26 Mar 2005, Nikki Lee wrote:

> What is this mother's female family history about menopause? That might
> give more clues as to what she might expect. I have read that women can
> move into menopause during lactation.

I was 37 when my youngest child was born, and he nursed until he was a bit
over 3.5 years old (weaning was so gradual that I can't really tell you
exactly when he stopped).  My periods returned when he was about 20 months
old, but they were never really regular or with a normal flow after that.
I think it's possible that breastfeeding accelerated perimenopause for me.
I didn't have any blood tests or anything like that, and my doctor's only
suggestion was to put me on the Pill to regulate my periods (which I
declined).  Perimenopause lasted about 8 years before I finally stopped
having periods at all (YAY!).  I was 47 or so when I reached actual
menopause, but, like weaning, the changes were very gradual and I can't
say for sure when my last period occurred.

The reason I suspect that the hormonal changes from breastfeeding might
have brought perimenopause on earlier than it would have otherwise
happened is that my mother and both grandmothers - who nursed very little
or were long finished with nursing before their late 30's - were well into
their 50's when they reached menopause.  Since we know that less ovulation
throughout life (late menarche, early menopause) is associated with a
lower risk of breast cancer, it makes perfect sense to me that healthy
choices - like extended breastfeeding - would lead to healthy results -
like ending ovulation a little earlier.

So I'll add my own anecdotal experience to the discussion.  :)

Cee, happy to be post-menopausal!

                             .
                        .    |    .
                         \   |   /