From:
Ruth Leach-Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:36:39 -0800
VJvelez wrote:
"I need info re: neutropenia and any reason that breastfeeding  would be
contraindicated with this. Mom I am helping was told initially by her
baby's hematologist that, it should not be a problem, but now that baby is
4 months and still not responding to injections of silgrastim (neupogen)
hematologist  says that  her antiboides in her milk are killing the baby"s
neutrophils. Wants her to stopp bf'ing indefinitely."

Turns out I know this physician well, she has already investigated other
possible causes for this child's neutropenia and ruled out most.  The baby
is responding to Neupogen but at very high doses.  She feels that the risks
of continuing this therapy as well as the risks of neutropenia out weigh the
beneficial effects of continued breastfeeding.  She did consult with several
other physicians as well.  She also informed me that it would take several
months for the maternal antibodies to clear so it wouldn't likely be
feasible to pump while trying the baby off breastmilk and see what happens.
She said she is very supportive of breastfeeding.   I did make one little
correction to her statement that "He's already gotten all the good stuff."
I suggested that statement wasn't completely accurate and  might not be well
received by a lactation support person and she should think of it more along
the lines of, "He got the benefits of breastfeeding for four months."  A
little
gentle suggestion at a time!