Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 18:13:39 +0200
I can see the advantage of nipple assessment if the mom is going to give
birth in a hospital where breastfeeding crimes are  so ramapant that it
could be called  "a den of iniquity", and the chances of her baby being
seduced with a nice protruding artificial nipple, before he even  gets
close to hers are quite high.  ( Any resemblance to the hospital where I
work is purely co-incidental, of course!!)

This mom might be forewarned to make every effort to breastfeed her baby
as early as possible after birth to prevent her baby from getting an
artificial nipple into his mouth so that when he grasps on to her flat,
wide, or whatever nipple, he will think it is normal.  After all, he is
not doing the nipple assessment. I have heard nurses tell moms that the
reason that the baby has fallen asleep at her breast is because her
nipples are too small......as if a two-hour old infant is capable of
doing a nipple assessment!!

I rarely have latch problems with even the worst nipples if the mom is
well-prepared before the birth, aware that there may be some latch
problem and is taught several useful positions to try, and if the first
thing the baby gets in his mouth is the mom's nipple.
And if there are problems, they are easier to deal with.

And the last few weeks, I have seen many more latch-on problems because
babies are getting bottles early and frequently, and I am GOING CRAZY
trying to keep cool and professional and handle this in a dignified and
professional manner.

Isn' t there a Breastfeeding Crime Squad that could come into hospitals
and give fines and tickets to the perpetrators?  The punishment would be
that the perp would have to drink a bottle of ABM.

Sorry guys, am I rambling?  It has been a long day.  According to your
statistics, a hospital the size of ours should have 9 LC's and so far
there is only moi and I really need a long vacation.  Is there a rest
home for LC's?

It helps to see that I am not alone.

Esther Grunis, IBCLC
Lis Maternity Hospital