From:
Sarah Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 2013 05:39:29 -0400
Changing topic somewhat, I was curious about this statement from Susan Burger:

<The reason why human milk is so unavailable is merely marketing.  The procedures for making human milk available are really no different than the procedures for making the milk of any other mammal available and all are quite well known to science and even my mother and my grandmother knew how to pasteurize milk.  It is not rocket science. >

I think this is a great point - why is the process of producing donor human milk for infant consumption so much more expensive than the process of producing cow's milk based formula for infant consumption?

I mean, I can think of one obvious difference - the available supply. After all, part of the procedure for making the milk of other mammals available is to build up a large herd of lactating mothers who continue to have their milk expressed on a regular twice-daily basis for many years after weaning their own offspring, adding to that herd where needed by means of breeding more offspring to be raised for that purpose, and that's not exactly going to be feasible with humans. So we'll never have the same kind of potentially unlimited (for practical purposes) supply, although there's certainly scope for increasing the pool of milk donors a great deal through advertising. But what other differences are there that make human milk so much more expensive?

I recall that when a question about milk donation came up recently, a couple of the people replying said they worked in this field, so maybe someone here can explain the reasons for the difference in cost. I'm now really curious!

Best wishes,

Dr Sarah Vaughan
MBChB MRCGP