From:
Tina Lavy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:48:10 -0500
I will be presenting a short inservice to Public Health Nurses on
marijuana use and breastfeeding.  So far, I plan to cover the topic with
this information and references

Medications and Mother’s Milk – 2004 edition, Dr. Thomas Hale, MD

 THC is stored in adipose tissue for long periods.  It has been
documented that small to moderate amounts are secreted into breastmilk.
Analysis of breastmilk in the chronic heavy user revealed an egith fold
accumulation in breastmilk compared to plasma although the dose received
in insufficient to produce significant side effects in the infant. Studies
have shown significant absorption and metabolism in infants, although long
term sequela have not been shown. Marijuana could produce sedation and
growth delay, but it is highly dose dependent.  In one study, 27 women who
smoked marijuana during breastfeeding, no differences were noted in
outcomes in growth, mental and motor development.

American Academy of Pediatrics – Marijuana is contraindicated for use in
breastfeeding mothers.

I am sure there will be questions as follows:

(1) I am working with a mother who smoked marijuana yesterday (but reports
that this was a one time event in the last several months) and is
breastfeeding - can she breastfeed her baby today?
(2) a mother who smoked marijuana heavily before pregnancy, is
breastfeeding now and "occasionally" (one time a week or so) relapses to
old habits.  Can she breastfeed her baby?

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated, along with medical references
and sources.  Thank you.  Tina Lavy, MS, IBCLC