From:
Emily Lindsey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:44:30 -0500
I have read many posts and enjoyed the simplicity and well thought words of everyone. From a mother who currently has an almost 5 month old that follows every move we make with a spoon or fork and drools at food but cannot sit on her own nor has lost the tongue thrust that she is not ready; nor is her body. Teeth are not a sign of readiness either as this has a genetic component as I have been told by dentists in the past and we know children who do cut teeth at 3 months yet have no interest in solids for many months past that. Plus we must trust our own childrens defenses as well. With our 3 year old, he wanted and seemed ready at a little past 6 months. He got two spoonfuls and would not take solids again until he could pick them up and really was a slow getter for a long time. This is also the child that I had to avoid dairy, eggs, nuts, citrus, and most soy with. Today he has no allergies, very minor skin issues and was BF until he was almost 3 and self weaned. Until that day he rarely drank milk of which after that he began to ask for more cheese, yogurt, and now milk. His body knew best, mom gave her best, and now our little one thinks she wants food but we must know what is good and what she wants because of curiosity and what she is developmentally ready for (sitting on own, holding head, tongue movement, etc etc) Whoever said the child also wants to roll off the bed said it best...before 6 months breastmilk (in most cases) is what is best. Off to pump while away from our 21 pound almost 5 monther!
Emily Lindsey, BSPsy, CLE