From:
Teresa Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 16:03:04 -0500
I don't have any references to offer, but certainly this has been my
experience as well. I remember my youngest, who nursed until he was almost
five, still liked to rest his hand on my breast for comfort until he was
about eight years old. He also liked to rest his cheek against my breast. He
gradually stopped doing it and it was never an issue. I have many long-term
breastfeeding friends who have similar stories to tell. I remember one of my
friends telling me that her son learned in school about not touching
people's private parts and came home quite surprised to tell her "did you
know that your 'nursies' are a private part and people aren't supposed to
touch them?" It had never occurred to him (as I think it never occurred to
my young children) that touching his mother's breast was different from
touching her arm or hair. (One of my four children liked to stroke my hair
when he nursed, and continued to stroke my hair for comfort or to go to
sleep after he had weaned.)

Teresa Pitman
Guelph, Ontario