From:
Kathy Boggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:35:15 EDT
When parents are upset because they do not receive a formula bag or are
unable to redeem their coupon for one, I think it provides a wonderful opportunity
for doctors and nurses to articulate the reasons they are not handing these
out--i.e. we support and facilitate breastfeeding 100% and we know that the
provision of formula samples will lower the probability that you will breastfeed
successfully. We have eliminated formula bags because breastfeeding provides
compelling health benefits to mothers and babies and we can no longer take part
in a practice which interferes with this.  Now if my hosp. would just dump the
bags I would get to use this spiel.

Kathy Boggs, RN, IBCLC

One question we heard alot in the beginning was that patients were angry if
they had a coupon and we didn't supply them with their formula marketing
bags.  It was pointed out that the small print at the base of the coupons
says they are available at participating hospitals; we informed them we were
not a participating hospital.  I have heard rumors that the opposing
pediatricians have taken to putting the bags in their offices, but have not
had the opportunity to prove or disprove.
[...]

Linda Duce RN, CNM  Austin, TX