From:
Cherie Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 23:18:10 -0800
Two days ago one of my college Infant nutrition students gave birth at 32 weeks to a 6 pound 2 oz. boy. She asked to see the baby
all night and was told she should sleep instead (which she did not). The baby was given glucose water in the night and the
lactation educators (no consultants on staff) gave her a pump 12 hours after the birth. I am being told that because it is a Level
3 NICU that cup feeding is not used and formula will probably be mixed with the colostrum since the mom does not have much milk now
(but of course the milk has not come in yet). Anyway-this young woman is distraught after all she has learned in my class and does
not want to have the baby on a bottle or formula! Babe is as developed as 35-36 week old they say. Can anyone tell me the scoops on
Level 3 NICU's and what we can do! Is formula really necessary at this stage??Thanks-Cherie

Cherie Moore, M.S.
Cuesta College Nutrition Instructor