From:
Dawn Kersula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:12:02 -0500
One other thought about toddler meetings.

Parenting a toddler is challenging work. Sometimes I would get frustrated
and wonder if life would be easier if I weaned - I would just feel touched
out, frustrated, etc. (This is with my now 20 year old who I nursed for 5
years so don't flame me here!)

So if you have the opportunity to have some moms that come to more than one
session, you might consider talking a little bit about nursing behaviors at
various ages (see Baumgartner's Mothering Your Nursing Toddler from LLL),
and about challenging behaviors of toddlers. so moms can see that the
developmental challenges they're dealing with don't come from the fact that
they're nursing these little persons. (as in "if you would just wean that
kid.....")

I did a fun workshop once where we started out drawing a big cartoon of a
mother of toddlers. I asked what she need to have to be a perfect mother for
her toddler. We were in whoops by the time we put on her running shoes, her
big heart, her three or four hands, hearing aids and ear plugs, etc etc.
I've done this other times too and it is a nice way to get the conversation
flowing.

Dawn Kersula in Vermont (with plenty of initials I'll leave out today)
who also had "snuggles" with her little nursing persons - turned into
"nuh-nuhs" for all three - two nursed for 5+ years and the other one ONLY
2-3/4 years. I felt guilty when I was nursing two and pregnant and decided I
needed to wean the 5-1/2 year old for my own mental health.........We are an
odd crew!