From:
Tina Chavez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 01:05:33 -0600
On Thu, 30 Jul 1998 15:08:51 -0700 Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

<<It had an 800 number for the WIC program.  Man what a great
commercial!  ABM
companies...eat your hearst out!>>

I am glad I saw this post, Thanks Janet I did not know anything about
the commercials.

Before my last daughter was born I worked for WIC in the Southeastern
Idaho District Health Department.  I was involved in the breastfeeding
program and for several reasons I opted to terminate my working
relationship with WIC.  The main reason was because I struggled every
day with the fact that WIC distributed hundreds of thousands of dollars
worth of formula FREE.  For every client committed to breastfeeding I
had three who knew that *if* breastfeeding failed them (?) they couple
pick up some formula and you know the story.....

Recently, the breastfeeding program coordinator asked me back, I have
been unable to rationalize going back yet.  I guess I am wondering for
those of you on this list who work for WIC how do you deal with this
distribution of formula.  For a long time I felt OK thinking about the
Mothers and Children who I helped, who may have very well choosen to
breastfeed because of something I said, a class I taught or continued
breastfeeding because I took phone calls at 2 AM and trotted accross
town to help a new mom in her hour of need.  BUT, still lingering in my
mind was the rest of the story and all that darn FORMULA.

I see a member of this list whose signature line reads "What you PERMIT
you PROMOTE" and I believe that statement. It is nice to see WIC getting
out there and  *really* trying to promote breatfeeding but how can that
be when they offer the worst alternative?  It sort of reminds me of the
formula ads that say in teeny weeny print Breatfeeding is best but......

Looking forward to *any* input.  Feel free to e-mail me off Lactnet.
Tina Chavez
mailto:[log in to unmask]