From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 05:28:43 -0500
OK, call me weird, but I was simply thrilled and excited when Miranda left
to go off to college last fall.  We live in Texas, she goes to college in
Virginia, more than 1,000 miles away.  Do I miss her, sure?  But I know that
she's grown up to be a wonderful, responsible, caring, warm, funny adult.  I
miss her 2 year old self.  I miss her 4 year old self.  I miss her 6 year
old self.  But they grow up, and it's been wonderful having her home for the
summer, but I also am looking forward to her leaving in two weeks to start
her sophomore year at college, because this is her life now.  She'll be an
Orientation Leader this year for incoming freshman, as well as a tour guide
for visiting prospective students.  And I know she'll enjoy herself much
more this year, won't be at all homesick (she was only a little last year),
and is looking forward to seeing her friends again.  I'm also looking
forward to knowing her when she is 20 and 22 and 24, and when she's a wife
and mother, and so forth.  I had such a wonderful time at college (during my
second attempt, anyway) that I am just happy and excited for her.

Kathy Dettwyler