From:
Kathie Lindstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 10:25:43 -0800
I think it is rather unfortunate to hear comparisons of how birth used to be
in the OLD days to justify what we continue to do today that is well known
to cause difficulty and trauma to mothers and infants.  It is sad to think
that some in the medical community have a hard time seeing beyond the
physical and are stuck in the place that pregnancy, labour, birth and
parenting are physical events riddled with danger at every turn and we had
better watch out lest we not know what we are talking about - after all no
one wants a baby that's dead!! This particular line I have heard ad nauseum
as part of the control/power that is used to is used to scare parents into
conformity and submission by those that "know better".  Until such time
those that have the incredible privilege of working with child bearing women
and their families, come to realize, that there is much more to this
experience than the physical, we are always going to have problems.
Problems based on fear because of past experiences, old school teachings,
fear of change and reluctance to consider another viewpoint or reluctance to
accept research and evidence that may mean a change in our own practice or
teaching.  Those that are working with child bearing women and their
families need to have a belief and a trust in the process and in women and
if they don't, in my opinion, they should not be there.  There is way too
much fear and anxiety that parents are exposed to through the media,
literature and well meaning friends and families, they do not need those
that purport to  be "helping" them, bringing more.
I will try and not keep this going anymore, but do want it known that I do
not wear a t-shirt with a suction tube in a circle with a line through it.
I have seen many instances where suctioning was necessary but also would
like you to hear what Dr. Jack has to say about suctioning and meconium and
apnea attacks in baby's that have been suctioned as well.  I have a video
(given to me by a questioning parent) that very clearly shows two apnea
attacks after repeated suctioning and then guess what?  The baby is hustled
off to NICU because of breathing difficulties!!  and.... two months of
breastfeeding difficulties.  I wonder how many baby's are unnecessarily
traumatized and separated due to iatrogenic causes .... no I don't need to
wonder ... there are lots, way to many.  The guidelines that many are
referring to actually say and teach to assess the need for suctioning - you
cannot assess a head on a perineum.  If birth was allowed to follow it's
natural course, when it came TIME to assess the need for suctioning, we then
would perhaps see them used as they were intended.
You know, if we look at the things that used to be done to women in the name
of policy, protocols, routine procedures etc. ... shaves, enemas, lithotomy
positions, episiotomies, isolation, separation, supplementation etc. we have
managed to see (in most places) that these are for the most part barabaric,
unhelpful, un-woman and un-baby centered and cause more problems than they
help. These have been discontinued for the most part and we would really
question anyone that said they do these things - or I hope we would - and
more questions need to be asked and question our own practice in light of
what is normal and then go from there.  If we start from the place of
normal, it will help us to better trust and learn from a process that was
perfect from the beginning.
Kathie Lindstrom
From the cold but sunny Fraser Valley in BC, Canada.

>Geez, some babies strenuously object to me examining their eyes for a red
>reflex and, heck, just to make sure they are there!
>Many babies strenuously object to me examining their hips for developmental
>dysplasia of the hip but I will be damned if I don't do it anyway.
>I simply mutter to myself:  "I think thee protesteth too much!"
>Andrew MD

With all due respect - they doth protest for good reason.  Do you ask their
permission or explain to them what you are doing and why?  Perhaps they then
would not protest so much.
Kathie Lindstrom
(as above)

"this is not "your opinion" - it is your professional observation. i seem to be
spending more time in hospitals than i had anticipated when i started doing
this, and it is quite interesting, but it definitely seems that all the
"normal" procedures are quite destructive to breastfeeding success, and the
suctioning and other procedures that can cause oral defensiveness - DO cause
it. especially bottling babies.

just my professional observation as well.

carol brussel IBCLC

My professional observation as well .... I know if I am at a birth that goes
really well, with NO interventions, I will not be hangning around for weeks
trying to help the mother work through breastfeeding difficulties.

Kathie Lindstrom
(as above)
Kathie