From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 10:03:13 -0500
Hi All, Coach Smith here again.

I've read the posts about "legally" providing or getting domperidome with
interest. Galactagogues should be the LAST thing considered, not the first -
and only after all other mechanical and behavioral issues that affect milk
removal patterns are thoroughly investigated.  Please read and re-read Peter
Hartmann & colleagues' research articles in the JHL and elsewhere. Milk
removal from the breast is the primary driving mechanism for regulating
ongoing milk synthesis. Use it or lose it. Breast storage capacity matters a
lot, far more than we used to think. Milk synthesis is mostly NOT about what
mother drinks, eats, or takes orally. As Lance Armstrong, winner of the Tour
de France bike race says in his autobiography, "It's not about the bike."

If the mom is removing milk from her breasts thoroughly and frequently, it's
very rare that any other remedy needs to even be considered. Taking a
galacagogue cannot make up for the inhibition of milk synthesis due to milk
stasis. In my 30+ years of experience, I've encountered only a handful of
women who cannot make enough milk for one baby when they are doing
appropriate patterns of milk removal. And most of them got off to a very bad
start postbirth and probably never got a good supply established in the
first place.

Linda J. Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
Bright Future Lactation Resource Centre www.bflrc.com
6540 Cedarview Ct., Dayton, OH 45459-1214 USA
(937) 438-9458 email [log in to unmask]