From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2012 16:50:26 +0200
This article, out today, is a follow-up on some of the families
involved in an RCT of 'sleep intervention' for infants, done in
Melbourne, Australia about 10 years ago.  Just a heads-up. Not about
breastfeeding, but the info in the original study about place of sleep
speaks volumes about the likelihood of the children being breastfed.
About 70% were sleeping in a separate room from the parents when the
sleep intervention was carried out, and the mean age of the children
at that time was under seven and a half months.  Mothers could choose
between 'camping out' in the child's room until child settled, or
'controlled crying'.  It seems most 'chose' the crying path :-(
All my info comes from reading the full text of the original study. I
don't have access to anything but the abstract for the current study,
unfortunately, and the abstract leaves me with more questions than
answers.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2012/09/04/peds.2011-3467

I heard about it because a 'journalist' with one of the trashier
online news websites here contacted a friend of mine in Ammehjelpen
who previously had an opinion piece published about the hazards of
leaving children to cry. The journalist was delighted to be able to
'inform' my friend that leaving babies to cry turns out not to be at
all harmful after all, and asked her to comment on the article which
it seems the journalist has not read either, only the abstract.  From
the abstract we can also see that a third of those from the original
study, who were invited to participate in the follow up one, declined.

As a tangential question, can any of you Aussies tell me **off the
list** what the law in your country says about corporal punishment of
minors?  rachel.k.myr "at" gmail.com - we are trying to find out how
similar children's lives are here and in Australia, to formulate a
response to this story.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway