From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 22:45:01 EDT
I had a call from a mom who was referred by her doctor. She has an 8 mos-old first baby. When he was a couple of mos old, she returned to her job and was pumping her milk. Apparently, there was such enormous stress at her job that the company hired therapists to work with employees in an effort to help them manage the job stress. (Apparently, the therapists quit in frustration). The mom found that the stress was affecting her ability to pump an adequate supply, so she insisted she needed to be w/ her baby. She was allowed to bring him temporarily, but then a supervisor refused to allow her to continue. She finally quit at 4 mos b/c she refused to give her baby AIM. She received unemployment compensation, but now the employer is challenging her (aren't all of you not in the US glad you aren't right now?)
    Anyway, I told the mom to get a letter form the therapists. She is also getting one from the doctor. She would also like to know if there is documentation connecting stress and milk supply, esp as it relates to pumping. Her court date is Thursday, so if anyone has info, please email me privately, as well as to the list. Oddly, CT currectly has a bill before our legislature to protect nursing moms in the workforce.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA