From:
Ruth Cantrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 11:02:16 +1000
In my opinion and expereince 'it is NOT unethical to NOT disclose to a
caller that you are documenting the call?' In fact I would suggest it
likely to be expected professional practice to document relevant parts of
the call even if it were for the purpose of  clarifying points and  being
able to  appropriateky make comments and reccomendations. The
documentation then should be treated with  confidentiality just like any
health care record and information. Based on general health professioanl
law and ethics I would suggest that the person calling is givng  implied
consent  by making the call and seeking help  or reassurance (whatever)
and there is no need to ask permission to document but thers IS the
asumption and expectation of confidentiallity. This is my understanding
but have not read recently in law and ethics  text on this.
Ruth
Ruth Cantrill
Brisbane, Australia

>Not to be a bore but as I received just one response to my question-can I
>just ask again ( most especially to those LLL and ABA phone supporters)
is
>there a general consensus that it is NOT unethical to NOT disclose to a
>caller that you are documenting the call?

>Thanks again,
>Meg Kingsley IBCLC Phone Helpline joint- coordinator wanting to do
>everything right...
>Dubai UAE

Ruth Cantrill
Griffith University