From:
Lois Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 22:35:14 -0800
My kids didn't suck their thumbs (or anything else besides my breasts),
for the most part.  However, Andrew did suck his thumb about 10 times
when he was around 4-5 months old.  It was so cute.  He would
deliberately remove my breast with both hands and stick in his thumb (and
smile broadly at me! :-) ).

Anyways, the more scholarly point of my post is as follows:
Books like The Continuum Concept (and a few others I have read) indicate
that babies in those cultures never spit up milk after nursing.  Of
course, both of my kids did so a fair amount, at different times.  I was
very much a mother who did frequent, lengthy, unlimited nursings, and
placed no restrictions on my babies.

So my main point -- is it true that in "traditional" cultures, babies do
not spit up milk?

Lois Patterson
Retired LLLL
List-maintainer Parent-L (Extended BF List)
Mother to Anne Marie (5/31/91) and Andrew (12/29/86)