From:
Nina Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2007 14:16:14 +1000
Hi Cathy
I think you are right to be suspicious - although I am having trouble
putting my finger on exactly what it is about this story that has set my
alarm bells ringing. I think part of the issue is the 'insight mining'.
Firstly, as you point out, it is not clear to users that they are being used
in this way.  Secondly, I would want to ask what is the 'insight' to be used
for? I suspect it will be sold - and probably to companies selling infant
feeding products.  If that is the case, your interview is being used as bait
to attract mothers with feeding concerns to this website - there to have
their responses mined for 'psychological motivators'.  I would not be
comfortable with this either. There is a fundamental principle in ethics
that holds that people should not be used as a means to an end.  Persons are
ends in themselves. Given that these sites look like they exist to help
mothers but in fact exist to help the owners to gain insight into consumer
behaviour, I have a feeling this strays into the land of using people (and
their responses) as a means to an end.
Sounds like you have really good ethical instincts, Cathy.  I have learned
(from bitter experience) that it is a bad idea to ignore the alarm bells
that ring in my head.
Best
Nina Berry BA/BEd(Hons) DipArts(Phil)
PhD Candidate