From:
Nina Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 08:27:09 +1100
Hi Everyone
I made a phone call yesterday to my regional IBLCE office.  I found a great
deal of help and reassurance there.  I was assured that my concerns will be
raised and that the aim of the SoP is not to restrict LCs in the ways that
it appears to.  I ran through a number of situations (around diagnosis and
contradiction of HPs) with the person I spoke to and she thought that the
she also saw how they could be understood to be precluded, too - and will
take my concerns further.)
Can I suggest that you all do the same.  It seemed to me that, at least in
this region, it had really not occurred to anyone that the SoP might be read
as literally as it is written (people are funny, huh?) and it had not
occurred to anyone that there might be prima facie contradictions between
code of Ethics, clinical standards and the SoP.  I suggested that a
statement of clarification might, in the short term, be reassuring. I really
think that we are all on the same team here and that IBLCE doesn't want to
hinder our work.  Perhaps the Board got so caught up in the minutae that
they lost sight of the whole picture.  That is so easily done.
If you have some expertise in this area (you speak legalese or professional
ethics, or even in data-collection) why not offer to help find a solution
that is more comfortable.
Cheers
Nina Berry BA/Bed(Hons) Dip Arts(Phil)
Breastfeeding Counsellor
PhD Candidate - "Ethical Issues in the marketing of 'Toddler Milks'"