From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:35:21 +1000
Hi - with permission I have cut and pasted a breastfeeding problem
described on another list.  Do any of you have ideas about cause or
solutions for this woman?

(a few explanatory terms:  possetting = bringing up milk after a feed;
supply line = a supplemental feeding system developed by NMAA)

Report as at 6 June:
<snip> I am a midwife currently at home with big baby number 3.  I
breastfed my first 2 children with out significant problems until 12mth+.
They both demanded frequently but thrived.
This baby was the perfect feeder and sleeper for 2 months, in fact I had to
wake him for night feeds until I let him sleep through around 4 wks old.
(mistake No 1?).  He would feed 6 - 7 times during the day but refused to
B/F when sleepy, only settling with the dummy (mistake no 2?). I allowed my
husband to give him a bottle of EBM when I was out one night ( mistake no
3?) Then he began to get distracted, restless and fussy at the breast
taking only a few minutes to feed, staying on only until the let down.
(Next mistake ?)
About this time I became certain low supply was a contributing factor to
his poor feeding, as well as the result of same.  Cut a long story short,
despite doing all the 'right' things to build up supply (freq. feeds, night
feeds, expressing Ha Ha, supply line EBM comps, diet, stout,etc) I can only
just say now that I've caught up to him, and it has taken 5 weeks.  I
really thought  a day or two of concentrated feeding efforts would fix the
problem initially.
It has been a difficult time, but worth it to feel confident I can feed my
baby again, though I feel like I have taken a backward step now with
frequent demand feeds, unpredictable sleeping pattern, multiple night
wakings/feeds, comfort sucks, and possetting +++. ( I suspect reflux is one
reason these problems began)
Whatever the cause, I have to say it has taken weeks longer than I ever
would have guessed to reverse the low supply problem.  If I was a mum
without midwifery resources I would have gone out and bought formula and a
bottle like so many other mums who tell us their milk ran out, and we
mutter, "you didn't do all the right things" to ourselves.  I truly felt
that helpless and guilty depriving him and without the supply line I would
have surely lost the fight. I really feared not being able to  successfully
B/F.  Doing the 'right' thing just isn't enough sometimes and problems
persist or even get worse.
When we tell mothers 'just to take 24 hrs or so to do nothing but feed the
baby and your supply will catch up in a day or so, it's just a growth
spurt, you must be running around too much', etc it may be wise to consider
the possibility of prolonged difficulties and offer potential solutions,
support and backup before they get too desperate one night. <snip>

Followup as at 13 June:

<snip> Supply does not seem to be a problem now, but  Ruben does still fuss
at the
breast often, have short feeds, scream regularly, and vomit small amounts
all the time.  I have decided to avoid any further mylanta and try farex.
This seems to help sometimes but not always (and he is only 14 weeks).
Early mornings he is predictably upset, not lying down with me in bed to
feed.  I may chase some prepulsid or something else, yet.
He's just not the same as he was 1st 2 months.

I should have added to  my first letter another contributing factor could
have been 3 days of POP 'mini pill' (before I recognised trouble then
stopped taking it)  that coincided with the onset of problems.<snip>

I haven't made any suggestions to this mother, just asked if she would mind
if I sent the case history to Lactnet.  I thought some of you who are more
experienced than I with allergies may be able to ask more pertinent
questions and give suggestions, or any other ideas?

TIA
Denise