From:
Carla D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 17:32:41 -0600
Janet,  I alluded to the lack of medical need for circumcision while trying
to avoid reopening that particular door.  We have been asked repeatedly not
to use Lactnet as a forum for the pro/con circ debate.  Since you addressed
me specifically I must respond simply to set the record straight. I am
adamantly against routine neonatal circumsion.  I feel we can address some
small amount of the damage incurred with reduction of the pre op starvation
commonly seen, use of anesthesia and reducing the separation of mom and
baby.  Katherine Dettwyler makes a very good point.  If mom stayed with the
baby separation would be minimized even more than with my plan and would
have the added benefit of more people being aware of the true horror of the
procedure.  If we get too deeply into the pro/con debate here we may lose
this forum to discuss the ways to minimize damage WHEN the procedure is done.

Carla (mother of 2 intact boys and 1 intact girl who feels male genital
mutilation needs to be addressed as much as female genital mutilation but
not on Lactnet)