From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 09:42:09 +1000
Hi Ibolya

Further to Heather's suggestions I would also recommend you look for any
research by Lars Hansson - a Scandinavian researcher who has extensively
documented the immunological properties of breastmilk and the response to
antigens.  With the wording of your original question you are implied that
you have no knowledge of this and are seeking his advice.  In your response
I would suggest that you start it off something like.... "Thanks so much
for your response.  I, too, have being researching this area intensively
since we began the conversation  and I'm sure you'll be interested in the
research I have found ......"  This may, with any luck at all, not get his
back up that you  were challenging him, but that you are now sharing in the
best of collegial spirit.

Regarding the spread of pathogens to the infant... I doubt if there is
research to show whether it happens or it doesn't.  The best you could hope
for would be to site X number of case studies where infants have fed on the
affected breast and have not become infected.  And maybe mention that in
the pursuit of these cases you found NONE where the baby was
harmed...   but there is substantial evidence to show how babies are harmed
from "artificial nutrients" ....  Hmmm maybe go easy on that point ;-)

Good luck.  Try to avoid putting yourself in a situation where he can 'pull
rank' on you.  And, I think it was Barbara W-C who suggests that in any
confrontational situation such as this the first thing you should look for
is your common ground.  ie "Oh yes, the baby's health is the most important
factor in this!!"  etc.

Denise

Denise Fisher MMP, BN, IBCLC
BreastEd Online Lactation Courses