From:
Lee Galasso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:02:22 -0400

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 18:57:54 -0400, Kathy Lloyd wrote:

<<She said her one nipple "looked funny" on her one breast. I then examined
her breasts. The nipple and areola on her right breast were of normal size
and color, however the nipple on her left breast was green in color. The
areola was pink. She denied any discharge from the nipple and said it had
been that way for a month or so. She showed it to her OB doctor and she said
"It was probably normal"!!  The only way I can describe it is that it looks
like moss that grows on a rock. It is just on the face of the nipple which
also had what appeared to be a milk blister. I felt no mass or swollen area
in the breast and mom denied any pain. I have seen yellowish-orange crusted
area on the breast from leaking colostrums, but never green crusted areas.>>

Kathy, over 20 years ago, I remember Chele Marmet talking about a greenish
discharge from nipples and it SEEMED to be associated with women who had
allergies.  At that time, I volunteered that I had seen that with my nipples
in between children/pregnancies, and I expressed some for the small audience
of breastfeeding advocates at that conference session.  I'm not saying that
is the case with the mom you are describing but it is a possibility.  Does
the crusty green stuff go away when she showers?  Perhaps you could contact
Chele and discuss it with her.  Sorry I can't be of more help; I have not
seen this with any mom that I have helped.  BTW, I can still get a drop or
two of that green liquid when I'm curious; sometimes that's every couple of
years.  :-)

Lee Galasso, MS, IBCLC, RLC