From:
Tammie Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 16:42:24 EDT
I had a full day yesterday of helping Moms. I helped a Mom with twins (a
first for me). She wants to know when to pump if she is nursing the twins.
She has a manual Advent pump. I advised an electric pump. She is trying to
increase her milk supply. I found also she had a breast reduction 5 years
ago. It was the kind where the nipple was cut around she said. The twins were
10 days old yesterday. I wish I could tell you their exact weights as I did
record them but left them there accidentally. They have regained their lost
birth weights. The boy is something like 5 lb. 6 oz. and the girl like 6 lb.
2 oz. He is the better nurser of the two right now. They were born by C
-section at 37 weeks. It was a scheduled C -section. Baby boy on bottom on
was breech (butt first) and Mother had gestational diabetes. She is going to
get Blessed Thistle and Fenugreek to take to help her milk supply. Any
information would be helpful. They did supplement in hospital with formula.
Something about low blood sugars so they had to get them up right away.
Sounds to me this mother had a pretty traumatic experience trying to listen
to the Lactation Consultants and then the nurses and physicians. She was so
worried about the babies. They were throwing things like "low blood sugars,"
"jaundice," "temperatures." She listened to the physicians over the Lactation
Consultants and in the end she said the Lactation Consultants raised her
blood pressure so much that she requested they not be allowed in her room any
more. She said her priority was the well being of the babies. Sound like any
thing you all have experienced before. Thank you for any responses.
Tammie Gregory, CD (DONA), Breastfeeding Peer Counselor for WIC, Mother to
seven breastfed babies