From:
beth mcmillan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2007 09:54:20 -0400
Hello All,
This is my first time posting a question and am very hopeful that I will receive
lots of  info that I can pass on to a mom who is having breast pain.  I have
permission to post.
First time mommy, babe is 3 months old and after some initial difficulties with
over supply and sore nipples things are fine - babe gaining lots, nursing is pain
free and mom dedicated to breastfeeding EXCEPT mom has episodes of
breasts pain that come and go, she describes them as waves of pain.  They
are enough that she has had to pull over to the side of the road while driving.
She denies pain during feeds.  We talked about triggers and possible causes.

Earlier in the course of nursing (~4wks) her dr. perscribed antibiotics for
suspected mastitis as a result of this same pain.  There are no lumps, red or
hot spots, no fever, pain is bilateral - of course don't think it ever was
mastitis.  She did have some cracks in the nipples v. early on.  Nipples are
now intact and healthy looking, nice and round after a feed.  Mom and
another LC suspected thrush and mom has done two rounds of Gentian Violet.
There are no other symptoms of yeast - just the pain that comes and goes.
Mom describes the pain as burning and stabbing and though the severity is
the same she thinks the frequency is lessening.  This mom has a generous
supply.  She is also very tall and long waisted with a very heavy baby - she
complains of always needing a pillow to nurse, not very convienent.  I mention
this because I considered that the pain might be either postural or due to
baby "cliff hanging" and pulling/damaging nerves.  I also considered the
generous supply and strong letdown issues that she experienced previously -
perhaps pain was due to MER?  She denies leaking during pain episodes and
doesn't have pain when nursing/pumping.  She does pump occasionally but
says she has no problem with the pump (though I think this could be worth a
second look).  We talked about vasospasm associated with cold/change in
temp and she is going to pay more attention to what is happening when she
has the pain.  Had to think about  noticing color changes in her nipples, didn't
really recall.  Mom fully clothed when she pulled up her shirt and dropped the
flaps of her bra to show me her nipples and within a minute of covering up
again she had an episode.  hey! maybe it was the A/C in the car that caused
the pain that forced her to pull over.

BAB p.511 mentions "sudden filling" of milk ducts as a cause of breast pain
though I have to admit I don't really understand "sudden filling" and how that
works.  Any possibility that this sounds like something worth considering?

Well there it is - maybe I have answered my own question or not - what am I
missing?  any comments welcome.

thanks

Beth
LLL and waiting for Oct 19th