From:
Christine Lichte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:20:41 -0400
Hi again.  Just curious about something. Now that I am working in a
hospital setting and seeing a lot more colostrum, I have a question about
its appearance in the first 2 days.  It is always described as a thick
yellowish fluid, yet, sometimes, when I have moms express a couple of drops
it appears almost clear, more  white, and thin.  Pumped colostrum is more
yellow, though.  I was thinking that when just drops are expressed I may be
seeing colostrum that is "separated" and when it is pumped then I see it
all mixed.

Today I had a physician, who just had her second baby, ask me why her
colostrum appears thin and whitish (24 hours). She wondered if it is
transitional milk.  I think it is too early for that.  This started me
thinking.  Lawrence states that "The residual mixture of materials present
in the mammary glands and ducts at delivery and immediately after is
progressively mixed with newly secreted milk, forming colostrum."  Is this
residual mixture more watery in appearance?  Also, is it possible for
interstitial fluid to make its way into the milk ducts beyond the normal
amount--from excess fluids during labor and c-sections?  Just curious. :-)
Thanks again.

Christine Lichte  LLL Leader, CBE, IBCLC candidate