From:
Anne Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:16:30 EST
     I do not remember the specifics, but Marshall Klaus spoke at ILCA in
Scottsdale in 1995.  He described how parents behave with their infant if
they are left completely alone and undisturbed for about an hour or so...they
will both begin to touch the infant beginning at the head and slowly work
down the entire body, touching every little part.  His videotaping and
observations of these new family units are extraordinary.
     Personally, I somehow expected my most brilliant and educated (PhD)
doula/monitrice to leave the room and protect the door, so we could live out
this predictable behaviour.  We never discussed this prior to the birth, so
I suppose she was not privy to this information.  Several hospital staff were
in and out along with the doula remaining in our room for at least the next
two hours.  I must say I felt cheated.  Since I was an IBCLC, initial
assistance with breastfeeding was not really needed, but after that first
latching on for the normal mother and baby I do think a doula can exit and
truly "protect" the family for intimate privacy.  All doulas should be
educated in their schooling of this research.  I believe this immediate
bonding can contribute greatly to the breastfeeding relationship.  One more
reason, in my mind to have home births...Anne Williams RN BSN IBCLC,
Pensacola, Florida