From:
Wendy Blumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2018 12:15:03 +0200
Whatever the traditions of that time, this birth was precipitate and not quite the home birth planned for when Mary was in Nazareth.  It is still amazes me that she could ride on a donkey in her ninth month over mountain tracks from Nazareth in the Galilee, heading for Jerusalem but making a strange detour south of the city which brought them to Bethlehem.
There is a lot of archeological evidence which shows that the Bethlehem of the story was more likely the village of Bethlehem of the Galilee which is a lot nearer to Nazareth.  This of course would change history!
Going back to traditions of breastfeeding, it would have been very cold in the stable.  We are now in the midst of winter which is mild by comparison to northern countries but the evenings are very chilly and there could have been rain.  So in spite of the hay available, it would have been likely that Mary would have nursed her baby and kept him very close to her.  Joseph seems to have got left out of the story but I reckon that he was going around collecting blankets to keep them warm.
All the classic paintings show the Madonna dressed in beautiful gowns with Jesus at the breast.  But in a cold dark stable it is more likely that she would have snuggled down with her baby with as many coverings as Joseph or the innkeeper`s wife could find.
We don`t hear about her attendants, whether there were midwives at all and her mother would have been back home in Nazareth.
It will be interesting to see if anyone can discover any source material.
A very happy Christmas and a more peaceful, health, happy and creative New Year to you all,
Wendy Blumfield
Haifa, Israel
NCT Prenatal Tutor/Teacher and Breastfeeding Counsellor