From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 20:29:32 +0800
>I have seen savings quotes for using cloth diapers, but does anyone have a
>fair estimate of how much it costs the individual family to bottlefeed?In
>terms of X canisters of ABM-yuck a month, cost of sterilization, bottles,
>nipples, pacifiers, etc?  Surely a WIC worker out there would know!

Nofia,
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia (NMAA) Lactation Resource Centre
has a series of papers written on breastfeeding called 'Topics in
Breastfeeding'. One of these is called 'The Economic Benefits of
Breastfeeding in Australia' by Val Bundrock, and includes two cost models
comparing formula and breastfeeding for an individual family - a low cost
model and a high cost model. This paper is now a few years old (1992) and
is based on costs in Australia, but it is a wonderful coverage of the costs
of not breastfeeding from all aspects, not just food costs.

Anyone interested in obtaining a copy of this paper can contact the
Lactation Resource Centre by e-mail <[log in to unmask]>. It is part of
Set 4 of 'Topics in Breastfeeding'.

Joy Anderson IBCLC, NMAA Breastfeeding Counsellor,
Perth, Western Australia