From:
Rhoda Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 20:19:00 PST
I am hoping that some of us can be of assistance to a mother who recently
contacted me.  She is a public health nurse, with three children, 6 yr/ 3
1/2yr/ and 8 1/2mos. At a Valentines Day hot lunch put on by her oldest
child's grade one class she was approached by the teacher and it was
requested that she no longer breastfeed her baby in the classroom.
Apparently, two parents have complained; they don't want their children to
see breastfeeding.
        The teacher explained that because the school is public property,
she has to make this request on behalf of public interest.
        The mother contacted the office of the superintendent of schools
which said there is no school policy that prohibits breastfeeding in the
schools. (there is no policy supporting it either!)
        She has been offered a compromise by the teacher and principal.  She
would be permitted to nurse in the office out of sight of the children.
This choice is unacceptable as she would then be missing the event she was
there to attend.
        Alternatively she could wear a shawl or blanket to cover up. She
doesn't think this will work because the baby doesn't like to eat under a
blanket and he is old enough to remove it (remember he is 8 1/2 months old).
        So neither of these of options is workable.

        She has written to the school and the following is a quote from her
letter.
        "Since I was not approached directly by the compainants, I can only
assume that they find breastfeeding in public offensive because in our
society the breast has a sexual as well as a nutritive/nurturing function.
        Unfortunately, our culture emphasizes the sexual role of the breast.
The media bombards us with sexual images of women's body parts daily.
Consequently, it is implied that anything having to do with breasts has also
to do with sex.
        So, these parents have expressed a valid concern. I don't want my
kids thinking that 'breast equals sex' either -- and that's exactly why I do
breastfeed in public.
        In our culture, when something is done out of sight, in hiding, it's
usually because there is something bad, offensive, illegal, risque, sexual
or any combination of these elements about it.  For too long now,
breastfeeding women have been sent scurrying to back rooms, public washroom
cubicles, their cars, under blankets or shawls, anywhere out of sight to
feed their babies.  This banishment of breastfeeding from the public eye has
only served to increase in our minds its connection to something sexual,
something shameful, something bad.
        So I am on a mission to undermine the 'breast equals sex'
connection. I want breastfeeding mothers brought out of the closet so that
breastfeeding becomes a normal and wholesome part of our lives.  Let's smile
upon the breastfeeding mother and commend her dedication to her child's good
health.  Let's highlight the nourishing/nurturing function of the breast.
Let's celebrate breastfeeding as a beautiful expression of love between
mother and child and let's teach our kids, the next generation of
breastfeeders, to think of it that way, too.
        To those parents who complained, I think your intentions are in the
right direction, but you are attacking the wrong person.  Go after those who
exploit the breast as a sexual object because it's those images that our
children do not need to see in their formative years.  And please, leave me
and my baby alone to enjoy these precious moments."
        Their response has been to ignore the issue entirely.  Not even a
letter acknowledging receiving her letter. They want her to curl up and go
away.  She is frustrated at the lack of response and VERY concerned about
what the impact would be upon a less determined mother. She wants the school
district to have a policy supporting breastfeeding.  But How does she go
about doing that? Does any school or school district have a policy on
permitting breastfeeding?  Does she have a legal position (in Canada)? Does
anyone have any suggestions?  Strong, tactful letters of support would be
helpful.  Her local parents council is unlikely to be much help as she has
been told the main complainant is the president!  Ideas any one??
 She is not on-line, so please e-mail me Rhoda Taylor at