From:
"Dr. Tom Hale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 09:32:53 -0600
To : Rob
Re : Lugols Solution

Lugols solution  contains 5% iodine and 10% Potassium iodide.  I would not agree that they are
safe in breastfed
infants regardless of what the AAP says.  Remember, Iodine rather effectively inhibits T3-T4
formation and release from the thyroid, that is why it is
used in these situations.  Also, remember that it has a milk:plasma ratio of 12-26 which is the
highest of any drug I know.

Further,  we do have one paper showing a dramatice reduction of thyroid function in a breastfed
infant following maternal
exposure to iodides.

In addition,  the thyroid inhibition is retained for up to 6 weeks following use of iodine in
adults, so it could be long-lasting in an infant.

So I would really urge caution in breastfeeding an infant while undergoing iodine treatment for
thyroid abnormalities, infact, I wouldn't do it.

Regards

Tom Hale, Ph.D.