From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:39:45 +0100
Sears recommends it for high need babies, who may not get any sleep
otherwise.   As such, it's a tool, to be used when appropriate.

I think any claims that say it keeps babies asleep this long, is a
marketing gimmick, and can't possible be accurate - otherwise half the
world (the half that don't want bothered by parenting during the hours
of darkness) would have one.  I suspect it's very much like all the
other 'claims' on making babies sleep though - those parents who've
found it works, happen to have babies that sleep through.  They do exist!

Like the motion rockers that Karp mentions - they are tools to be used
according to situation and need.  This doesn't prevent some people
over-using them not according to need - but nothing would stop that.
That's an issue of inappropriate parenting, not the gadget that's being
employed.

They are based on sound practice - as the baby moves, the cot sways, and
mimics body action, so the baby is soothed.  Healthy babies ain't gonna
stop being hungry, because they're being soothed in their sleep - that's
my take.

Was it a specific inquiry, or a generic one?

Morgan Gallagher