From:
"Jane A. Bradshaw" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 1997 09:21:16 -0500

<<
 We are setting up a research project to identify the characteristics of
 mothers with insufficient glandular tissue. To those of you who have worked
 with numbers of these moms, what are the things that you notice about these
 moms and their breasts?

 Kathleen Huggins >>

Kathleen,
In my experience some of these women have "beautiful"  full looking,
symetrical breasts, medium to large sized, but they feel like big air filled
balloons on palpation.  There are none of those firm, filled milk ducts.  It
is such a contrast when seeing a mom like this and in the next 1/2 hour to
have a mom with AA sized breasts come in hard as a rock, engorged,  with
loads of milk.   We have been amazed to meet and examine these women.  They
look perfectly normal, and you would never suspect a problem until they don't
produce more than tiny amounts of milk.
 The other type of breasts with insuffiecinet glandular tissue is more common
I think.  They are asymetrical and have very different looking nipples,
usually one big and 1 very little.  Often the breasts are conical or tubular
and asymetrical.  In every case that I have seen the mom had almost no breast
development or tenderness in early pregnancy.
The last identifying factor is as Sandey said, even with pumping they only
make tiny amounts of milk.   My last client was so determined she pumped 40
minutes after each nursing at least 8 times per day for WEEKS and only
producted 1 ounce  TOTAL in a 24 hr period.  Baby was fed at breast with SNS
and taking 9/10 of her nourishment from ABM.
Jane Bradshaw RN, BSN, IBCLC
Lynchburg, VA