Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 21:46:13 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Hi Lactnet friends,
    I have a mom who had severely inverted nipples who is almost exclusively pumping with a double pump  since her baby was born 3 1/2 mo. ago. She developed a crack on one nipple which has bled 3 times in the past few weeks. She was checked by her ob, and I checked it and it seems to be a crack. The nipples everts with pumping, she provides almost exclusively breastmilk for her daughter, pumps 3-4 times a day. Since the crack, she has cut back on pumping the sore side, I recommended APNO, which her ob was skeptical about, (surprise), she had her gen doc prescribe the ingredients.

2 weeks have gone by with no bleeding, I recommended also, using a larger breastshield, so she will try this, and pumping more on intact breast and less on cracked side, which seems to be helping too.  We tried everything to get this baby on directly, including baths, and occasionally baby would latch, but mom is happy to provide breastmilk at least. Until this happened, all was going well, she is a little discouraged now.

Is there any time limit on how long to use the APNO in any of your experiences?  I would appreciate any input, private or post to the list, and mom has given permission for me to ask all you wise ones, too.  She is traveling to Ireland next week, any IBCLC in Ireland, please contact me from the Dublin area in case she needs advice over there.
                                                        TIA, 
                                                        Ellen Mahony, RN, MS, LCCE, IBCLC
                                                        [log in to unmask] 
                                                        Hope your father's day was nice, cool here but enjoyed being waited on by my daughter and                                                         niece at a father's day barbeque for their dads, (and the rain stopped!)       

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2