From:
Linda Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2007 19:33:27 -0400
Oh I recommend DHA supps for all my moms. I was responding to talk
about Weston Price's suggestion that since Western diets are so bad,
we should give infants his milk recipe rather than our "severely
deficient" breastmilk. I don't think that not fortifying ALA/DHA is a
reason not to breastfeed, although I would certainly encourage
consuming these.

It's thought that many people don't convert ALA optimally. Fish or algae
(vegan) sources are much more reliable and potent sources and in
studies that measure various health benefits of increasing doses of
such, only true DHA/EPA supplements or "hihg" fish diets provide the
measurable differences.

I believe that humans had to always live near fresh water up to say
100+ years ago, and hence fish were a simple and obvious dietary
source that's now gone by the wayside.

BTW, studies in Seychelles trying to demonstrate damages to babies
from mercury levels in moms consuming high fish diets during
pregnancy and nursing found only that the more fish mom consumed,
the brighter (more neurologically developed) the babies.

Best, linda