From:
Mary Kay Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 15:02:02 -0600
<<<<I don't have any real scientific explanation for it.  Just seems
that some
prefer it one way and some another.  Possibly it's a cost thing?  It is
significant for low income mothers whose insurance won't cover it
(though
it
is usually covered) or don't have insurance at all.  If they can wait
and
find that maybe they won't need it?>>>>>
The explanation for the need is "scientific." Rhogam is NOT something
you can "wait and see" about or something that insurance "doesn't
cover." Rhogam must given within 72 hours of delivery if mother is
negative and baby is positive. period. If not, those antibodies WILL
develop if mom is neg and baby is pos.  My kids are teens and older now
and I only received it post delivery but I understand in the last few
years, it has been given at 28 weeks, AND after delivery if blood work
indicates that mom is or maybe developing antibodies to the baby's
blood. Not giving it could be fatal to the next pregnancy.  A doctor
WOULD not "wait" and see. Please go back and read the messages that have
been posted recently that explain how antibodies develop. There are
"good" antibodies and "bad" antibodies and Rhogam is given to prevent
the bad ones from proliferating.
Mary Kay Smith, IBCLC
Romeoville IL