From:
Judy Holtzer Knopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 1996 08:53:39 -0800
Hi, everyone. I did NOT mean to suggest that mothers *avoid*
chocolate (like I would advise avoiding smoking, for example). I
suggest, in general, that they eat chocolate *in moderation*,
like I advise drinking coffee, tea and cola (caffeine, in other
words) in moderation. If, however, the baby is colicky, fussy,
bothered about something, I may suggest that mother cut out
caffeine, chocolate, gassy veggies, and think about cutting down
on dairy to see if it helps (not everything at once, of course!!)
I DO stand on my previous that women should be told that effects
of chocolate MAY be like those of caffeine. According to my
Webster's New World Dictionary, theobromine (extracted from cacao
plant and present in chocolate) is an alkaloid used in medicine
as a nerve stimulant and is related to caffeine. Some babies may
be extra sensitive to their mom's intake of theobromine and get
"colicky"; other kids' moms can pig out on chocolate every day
and it won't faze them at all. In other words, IMO, this is NOT
an "urban myth", but just another thing to be aware of when baby
is driving parents up the walls and everyone is telling mom
something is wrong with her milk and she "must" wean.....
I really liked that line about the nurses saying the gift
chocolates were bad for moms so they got it for themselves....
:-)  Judy Knopf, an experienced wall-climber