From:
Kathy Lilleskov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2012 16:18:13 -0400
I worked with a breastfeeding mom who had cramping and red bleeding at 6 weeks. When she spoke with her doctor about it she was told to wait a couple of more weeks and see what happened. I encouraged her to ask her doctor for an ultrasound because the situation just didn't feel right to either of us. Perhaps she had the courage to go back and press the doctor for an ultrasound because she herself was a doctor...In any case it was the right course of action. She did indeed have a retained placenta. She was oversupplied before the placenta was delivered and even more so after.

In the situation you describe I would encourage the woman to speak to her health care provider and if she is pooh poohed to get another opinion. I can think of another case where I had a client whom I suspected of having a retained placenta at 10 days and she didn't get it checked out and she hemorrhaged at four weeks. Sometimes you have to go with your gut and push for things...An ultrasound is inocuous and called for under these circumstances.

Kathy Lilleskov RN IBCLC