From:
Katherine Catone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 00:06:52 -0800
I had the same thoughts as this subscriber after signing back on a few
months ago after being off for almost a year.  I think we need to learn
to be more accepting of what people have experienced, assuming it's not
dangerous, even if we don't tend to do it that way ourselves.

I think we've gotten enamored with the scientific lately, and that's not
bad, we need all this scientific research to back up what we knew, and
prove/disprove other stuff.

But we shouldn't be so quick to 'pass' on personal experience, because
there isn't anything to prove it.  I remember when people thought LLLI's
solids recommendation was way 'out there' when they recommended solids
at around 6 mos, and now there's lots of research to back it up.

I've been a LLLLeader for 22 years and an IBCLC for 10, and I've seen a
lot of changes and a lot stay the same.  I think there is room for both
in the field, the practical and the research based.
Maybe we could just remember that other people in the field are not the
enemy, and maybe we all need a bit more of the milk of human kindness!

--
Katherine Catone, LLLL, IBCLC
http://www.pe.net/~skcat1/index.html