From:
katherine in atl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2004 10:25:59 -0500
<<I'm still trying to figure out why one poster noted that so many
mothers find pumping hard.>>

Are you serious?

Many moms find just caring for a newborn  challenging, add pumping 8x
per day and it's enough to push most of them over the edge.   In any
group of new moms with breastfeeding issues, one of the central
discussions will surround pumping and how 'I just couldn't do it'.
There's a learning curve associated with any new activity, pumping is no
exception.  For most moms there's a lot of learning going on already.

Perhaps if one has a sleepy, easy baby, then pumping is a breeze.  But
when a mom has a baby who wants to be in arms 24/7 and or a challenging
toddler, I can't imagine how anyone could NOT understand how difficult
pumping could be.

I get several calls per week from moms who have been encouraged to pump
post feeds to bring up their supply.  They're overwhelmed, they feel
it's not working and something has to give.  If they have to pump to
successfully breastfeed, then baby isn't going to be breastfed.  Not
speaking of all moms of course - but many of them.

There are times when pumping is unavoidable if the mom wants to maintain
a milk supply - if the baby isn't nursing for whatever reason, then mom
is going to have to remove milk from her breasts regularly.  But if the
baby is nursing well, I can't find a reason why pumping should be part
of the recommendation to a mom if an SNS and domperidone (or other
MM/MMP) is a good solution for her.

katherine in atl